The Peabody Memorial Organ

The Peabody Memorial Organ

The Peabody Memorial Organ

The Peabody Memorial Organ
Made by E.M. Skinner, 1925

The Peabody Memorial Organ is the third instrument to be installed since the church opened in 1847. The organ was designed by Louise Robert and built by Ernest Skinner as his Opus #524, the gift to the church from parishioner and financier George Foster Peabody in memory of his brother. The organ comprises 4,718 pipes, ranging from 2 inches to 32 feet in length, as well as 20 chimes and a 61-note celesta. In 1999, it was recognized by the Organ Historical Society as “An Historic Instrument of Special Merit”—the musical equivalent of Landmark status. It is the largest essentially unchanged E.M. Skinner organ in New York City. Over the years, it developed many dead notes. Many of the chimes and most of the celesta do not play. Current restoration efforts are aimed at resturning all of these elements to playable condition and to restore the instrument to its original splendor.

See complete list of specifications